- September 7, 2015
- Posted by: Dr. Elise Cohen Ho
- Category: All Recipes
In this completely plant based entree we combine Butternut Squash, Black Beans and other yummy goodness for a protein filled experience that meat eaters and non meat eaters will enjoy.
As a mom of three who works full time as a Naturopathic Therapist, I am very much focused on giving my family the very best food possible and this one does not disappoint.
16 ounce can black beans
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 chipotle Chile from canned chipotle chilies in adobo
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup sweet potato
1 cup Butternut Squash
2 medium Zucchini
2 Bell Peppers
4 large carrots
1/2 cup peeled garlic cloves
2-3 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons Himalayan Sea Salt
1 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes
3 c. water
- Rinse the black beans and drain.
- Rinse and drain the quinoa.
- Mince the chipotle Chile.
- Cut the sweet potato and butternut squash* into cubes.
- Cut the bell peppers, zucchini and carrots into thick chunks.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook 1 hour on high plus 4 hours on low, stirring once every hour.
*Take note that of all of the root vegetables butternut squash is probably the most difficult to peel. As a time saver, you may like to consider purchasing this already peeled and cut.
Did you like this recipe? What are your favorite ways to eat butternut squash?